Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A love crush lost on Christmas Eve

THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE POSTED ON CHRISTMAS MORNING...MY BAD!

Merry Christmas!  My favorite holiday.
Christmas Eve day was crazy busy for me.  I took Roxie to the doggie salon in the morning.  She was shaking because she hates going to the groomer.  Her tail was tucked and she was pulling me back out the door.  I feel so horrible making her do something she doesn't want to do.  I had tears in my eyes when I left her there.  I am hopeless!
I stopped at my very favorite coffee place...Ryan Bros Coffee in San Marcos.  Here is why I no longer go to Starbucks...I walk in and while I am placing my order I see the manager go into the kitchen.  She comes out with her bag of dog biscuits and says "Julie take what you want for her".  (they usually have them outside in a container next to a bowl of water). Who at Starbucks knows that my dog is always in the car and knows that where there is coffee, there are dog biscuits?!  No one!  Ryan Bros is the best.  And they have a motto that I try follow but fail quite often.  "Life is too short to be bitter".  Yes it is.
I know there is a psychological term for my behavior in what I am about to say but I can't remember what it is.  I took psychology in college but that was, well...never mind - a very, very long time ago.  The boys upstairs had a party last night.  They have been so quiet lately that sometimes I forget they are up there.   I have called Travis the Sheriff on more than one occasion to go upstairs and quiet them down.  It's really bad.  But last night I decided to feel the Christmas spirit and let them party all they wanted.  It was hard but I did it.  And I was so proud of my loving heart.  And this is where my twisted and warped brain kicks in.  This morning I was getting in my car.  Our condo and the one upstairs where the boys live both have 4 windows facing the parking lot.  So on one hand I let them make noise out of the goodness of my heart and on the other hand?  I couldn't help it that I hit the red panic button on my car and let it rip!  I have such an annoying alarm.  And I got such pleasure in setting off that alarm and hoping beyond hope that it was truly bothering them as they slept in this morning!  Good morning boys...rise and and shine!
Now here is my story relating to today's title...It seems to me that a lot of women have crushes on "hot" men.  I can't think of a single actor who I think is hot.  They do nothing for me.  I don't get many crushes but about 15 years ago my parakeet was sick so I took him into the vet and they scheduled me to see Dr. Bausone who specializes in birds.  I took one look at Dr. Carmine Bausone and I thought I was going to faint.  I had an instant crush on him.  I think one of the things about him was that he was tall.  I like tall men.  And he had dark hair - perfect.  And handsome - yes, he was handsome.  Just perfection (to a 30 year old).  As time has gone by - I have always been more than happy to take my parakeets in to see the "bird doctor".  I even took Emily my kitty in to see him one day.  Dr. Mosley was out that day and they said I could see Dr. Bausone.  Yes!  Be right there!  Over the years I haven't had much opportunity to see Carmine Bausone.  Sometimes will catch a glimpse of him at the office when we are there to see the girls' doctor.  I just knew he would be my forever crush.  Until today.  No, nothing bad happened today.  Except a strong dose of reality.  I was at the vet's office waiting for Zoe to come out and a woman walked in with 2 hyper kids and 2 hyper dogs.  She breezed past reception and said she was going to take her dogs right to the pet resort.  I then heard the receptionist at the front desk call back to the pet resort to let them know that the BAUSONE FAMILY was walking back there.  And the next event is what made me realize that my long term crush and forever love affair has ended.  Zoe and I were walking back to the car and there parked next to me was the Bausone Family.  My tall handsome Dr. Bausone is just a regular husband and father.  His hair is ugly.  He has quite a bit of insulation around his middle.  And to top it off and seal the deal...Dr. Bausone drives a blue, boring, and outdated MINI VAN!  There he was climbing into his light blue mini van aka a looser cruiser and drove his family off down Citracado Pkwy on the way to Christmas vacation.  My 16 year romance...broken in a turn of the key starting up a mini van.  It's over.  Kapoot.  Done.  True love is quite over-rated I'm afraid!  Geez, I sure hope my parakeet, Blueberry, never gets sick...
I did a good thing which turned out pretty darn funny.  I was at the grocery store in the afternoon and there was the Salvation Army girl out there ringing her bell.  I decided to give her all the spare change I had.  I dug in the bottom of my purse and came up with a couple of dollars in quarters, dimes, and nickels.  I stopped to drop this change in her red can and let go of my cart.  Runaway cart heads into parking lot straight for a line of cars.  Good deeds never go unpunished!  Some guy grabbed my cart but was scared of me because he thought I would think he was grabbing my purse out of the cart!  I told him no worries that he was welcome to my purse and if he had any luck finding something in that quagmire that he was welcome to it!
So last night we needed to stop at Vons.  Nothing like last minute Christmas Eve needs.  Luigi went into the store and I said I would wait in the car.  I do that a lot when we go to the store.  Sorry Luigi!  Anyway...as always he wants me to lock the doors to stay safe.  But to no surprise to him he came out of the store and I was gone.  I had been watching a homeless man and his dog standing near the store.  I couldn't stand it anymore and had to go talk to them.  That is where Luigi found me...hanging out with the guy with no teeth and his dog named Tequila.  And what a blessing I got from both of them.  I know a lot of people (esp women) are afraid to talk to people like that but it's hard to keep me from them.  I saw him and told myself that whatever money I had in my purse (remember, I had no change as that was in the Salvation Army can), was going to him.  I emptied out my purse and came up with $3.00.  And I also raided Roxie's cookie bag for the dog.  Roxie looked at me like I had lost my mind.  I told her sorry but she has endless cookies and that black lab look like she needed a cookie.  I got out of the car and walked over to him.  I handed him the $3.00 and asked him if his dog could have a cookie.  He said of course.  She was SO happy to get the cookie.  I think happier than he was to get the $3.00.  He had Tequila do tricks for me and then we talked about Christmas and he told me how his Christmas' used to be when his kids were around.  I petted Tequila.  He offered me a bag of mistletoe that he was selling.  I declined but thanked him.  It was a really cool conversation on a cold Christmas Eve.  Glad I got out of the car and talked to him.  I thanked God for all I had and asked him to please watch over the man and his dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment