Sunday, June 19, 2011

Still Alice

When did a cell phone become so darn important in my life?  I didn't think it was until it died.  I have a loaner right now from Sprint.  I haven't used it but thank goodness I have it!  So ridiculous really.  I used to survive without a cell, without cable, without a microwave oven, and without this computer.  Unreal!
I have been reading a book this week that I absolutely LOVE.  It has touched me in so many ways.  It's about a 50 year old woman who is diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's.  It's fiction but written by an expert in the field.  I highly recommend it...it is called "Still Alice".  I keep thinking how Alice felt bad for thinking this but she thought that she would rather have cancer than Alzheimer's.  Her thoughts were that with cancer at least there are options to help you fight.  You can do chemo, radiation, etc.  It's truly up to fate, God, whatever you believe in that decides if you will win the fight or not.  But at least you got the chance and had the ability to "hope".  But with Alzheimer's...there is nothing to help you fight with.  It's fatal, it's final.  And you can't stop it no matter how hard you try.
Here's the book...

It's Father's Day (now that it is 12:22am)...I've never gotten a thrill out of that one.  I lump it in with Mother's Day and Valentine's Day.  All 3 I could do without.  I know, sounds harsh but I just have never been excited about any of these occasions.  However, it's just a few hours and like most everything else, it won't negatively impact my life to the point of doom.
Roxie lost her favorite orange bandana today.  We don't know where it went.  We backtracked through town today but couldn't find it anywhere.  When I say Roxie's favorite I truly mean my favorite.  I love anything orange.  Don't ask me where that weird quirk came from.
Luigi and I got into a friendly argument tonight about the song "All By Myself".  I absolutely love that song...it's always meant something to me - one of those private memories that you carry with you your whole life.  So Charice was on PBS tonight with David Foster.  She is phenomenal to me.  I think she has one of the most beautiful voices ever.  She sang All By Myself tonight and she was incredible.  But then Luigi said that no one can sing it like Celine.  Is he kidding me?  I am not a Celine fan.  And he said that people should not mess with her song.  I reminded him that Celine messed with Eric Carmen's song.  He owns that song.  Not Celine and not even Charice.  My point of this?  Well, there really is no point except that I love that song and lately, I really love Charice.
Time for bed...sleep is a beautiful thing! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment