Tuesday, January 10, 2012

On Staying Young and Getting Old

I was just sitting here thinking about when I was younger and all of the things I told myself.  I was going to defy age.  I was not going to be my mother.  I was going to be different.  I was never going to be considered "older".
I am still young in many, many ways.  I am still silly.  I still make jokes out of things that some people would not find funny.  I still get the giggles at funerals (not all).  I still turn around in church to see who in the world is singing SO off-tune.  I still disobey the posted speed limit.  I still jump up and down and clap my hands together when I am excited.  I still like the MAC counter at Nordstrom.  I still like Kool-Aid.  And I love to play Mini Golf.
Now on the flip side of all that, I am oLd!  I always said I would know all the popular music artists and all of their music.  Wrong.  Half the time I see a band on TV or hear a song on the radio and I have no idea who it is!  Sure I know the really big names like Beyonce, Lady Gaga, or Beiber but do I care?  No.  I still love my England Dan, Eagles, and Manilow.  I color my hair...I have A LOT of grey.  And I never thought that every day I would have to take a pill for digestion and a pill for my bladder.  WTH?!  I think Starbucks is way over-priced and that Frappuccinos are too sweet.  I actually take my coffee black now.  And like it!  When Happy Hour ends at 7:00 - so do I.  And I never have the urge at 8:00 at night to say "I'm going to the mall!".  I prefer for there to be handrails next to stairs...just in case.  It hurts to get off the floor.  Come to think of it - it's not so great even getting onto the floor!

So there you have it.  I am stuck somewhere in the middle but I see the age thing creeping upon me. 
But at least I am aware and am ok with where I am at 47 years old.  And I do not yet qualify for a senior discount...is that good or bad?! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment