Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Banana Slugs!

Finally...finishing up the Alaska trip...

Our last stop in Alaska was in Ketchikan.  The town is known for it's many totem poles.  I think you either like totem poles or you don't.  Honestly, I have never found a person who likes them.  Except for myself.  I am fascinated with them.  We were only in Ketchikan until 1:00pm and I was so bummed that I didn't get to see more.  The town was very cute.  A lot of houses on the hills, all different colors.  Bright reds, blues, etc.  We actually saw a very cool bald eagle (while on a tour to see a bear that we didn't see).  What a beautiful bird.  I got a pic but you won't know what you are looking at so I won't even bother posting it.  Ketchikan gets a lot of rain and it was very green.  We went to an Alaskan rain forest - don't picture Costa Rica - it's not the same.  Just a lot of trees and moss.  One thing they are famous for are Banana Slugs.  Seriously, did I really think I was going to see a Banana Slug?  I thought...what are the chances?  Well guess what?!  May I present you with an Alaskan Banana Slug!...


A real beauty, huh?!  I liked it so much that I took its picture again! 


Got a clearer view this time!

We left Ketchikan at 1:00 cuz we had to get on the "road" and head for Canada.  We spent all night and most of the next day crusing toward Victoria BC Canada.  When we arrived it was almost dark.  A little disappointing but it was still cool to see it.  We went on a bus tour through Victoria and then ended up at Butchart Gardens for a night tour.  Absolutely gorgeous flowers.  I have actually been there during the day and it's even prettier but it was kind of  neat to see it at night.  I will have to say the Ashton Kutcher camera took pretty good pics at night.  I was super pleased.  For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, it's a Nikon Digital Touch.  Ashton Kutcher does the commercials on TV for it.  Except when he swipes his finger across the screen, the pictures pop up much nicer than when I do.  Hype I tell ya!  Here are some pics of Butchart Gardens...








We got back on this ship about 11:15pm and it was time for bed knowing that when we woke up in the morning we would be in the Port of Seattle.  I was happy to get home to my girls but real sad the trip had to end.  Alaska was incredible.  I would recommend it to anyone.  It's just something you really should experience in your lifetime at least once.


This was the last shot I got of the ship as we were leaving the terminal.  All the cranes, equipment etc were for the food/supplies being loaded onto the ship for the next departure in about 7 hours.  The Carnival Spirit is my favorite Carnival ship.  I have been on her 3 times.  This was probably my last time.  She has moved to Australia and at this time, there are no plans to return her to the United States.  She's taken me to Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, Manzanillo, Costa Maya, Acapulco, Cabo, Canada, and Alaska.  Great memories to carry with me! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment